- boy scout
- nouna man who is considered naive• Hypernyms: ↑innocent, ↑inexperienced person
* * *noun1. : a boy member of the Boy Scouts, a movement founded in Great Britain in 1908 and in the United States in 1910 for carrying out among boys a program of outdoor and educational activities aimed at developing good citizenship and healthy useful living — compare girl guide, girl scout2. : a member of the Boy Scouts who is 11, 12, or 13 years old as distinguished from a cub scout or an explorer
* * *1. (sometimes caps.) a member of an organization of boys (Boy Scouts), founded in England in 1908 by Lieut. Gen. Sir Robert S. S. Baden-Powell, that seeks to develop certain skills in its members, as well as character, self-reliance, and usefulness to others.2. a member of any similar society elsewhere.3. Sometimes Disparaging. a person whose good deeds, obligingness, idealism, etc., exceed normal expectations.[1905-10]
* * *Boy Scout see ↑scout1• • •Main Entry: ↑boy
* * *Boy Scout UK US noun [countable] [singular Boy Scout plural Boy Scouts]a boy who is a member of the Boy Scouts , which is part of the Scout Association, an organization that encourages young people to learn practical skills and help other people http://www.macmillandictionary.com/med2cd/weblinks/boy-scout.htmThesaurus: scouting organizationhyponymSee also: Cub Scout
* * *boy scout,1. Also, Boy Scout. a member of the Boy Scouts.2. U.S. Slang, Figurative. an unrealistic or overly idealistic person: »
They are all judge, secular priest, and transcendent boy scout rolled into one (Commentary).
* * *n. A member of an organization of boys, esp. the Boy Scouts of America, that promotes character, outdoor activities, good citizenship, and service to others■ an honest, friendly, and typically naive man
[as adj.]his trademark Boy Scout smile
* * *noun, pl ⋯ Scouts [count]: a member of an organization for boys ages 11 to 17◇ Boy Scouts participate in group activities, learn skills, and are encouraged to have good morals and be good citizens. — called also Scout — compare
* * *ˌBoy ˈScout [Boy Scout] noun (US or old-fashioned)a boy who is a member of the Scouts
* * *boy scoutsee scout n.4 2 c.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.